The Links section is intended to establish connection between the containers placed at different layers of a single environment.
After such connection is set, a container will be able to work with environment variables of the linked image (herewith, the imported properties can be recognized by a specified prefix). Below, we’ll provide a step-by-step example of containers linking.
1. Click the Add button and fill in the appeared fields:
- Node – select the required layer of the current environment using the drop-down list
- Alias – type a connection alias (LB in our case). Subsequently, it will be used as a prefix for the variables imported to the current container(s) from the layer chosen in previous field
2. After that click Save to confirm linking settings. You can link as many different node groups to a single layer as you require.
3. You always can Edit or Remove the unnecessary link with the corresponding buttons at the top pane of the Docker layer settings frame.
When updates are applied, you can check the results by switching to the Variables section (where the newly imported parameters will be listed).